Tuesday 29 May 2012

Comfortably Numb

I´ve woken up in the hostel´s TV room with memories of a long night of bad karaoke. With so many tourists around, I´m back off the wagon. It´s about time for me to get out of Sucre, but there´s something about the town that makes it very easy to stay, even to do nothing but hang out. The other tourists agree, but no one can quite place what it is that makes it so comfortable here.

I´m in the market with a couple of kids from the hostel. There´s a row of wrinkled old women sat behind raised kiosks, covered in fruit. They make a hell of a smoothie, even if it is only UHT milk. Still in the market, another old woman serves me lunch of soup of chicken and potatos followed by a schniztel type dish. The total cost of the smoothie and lunch is a little under GBP1.20.

Logic prevails and I´m in a shared taxi, bound for Potosi. The two and a half hour GBP3.00 journey goes through the baron mountain terrain. I wish I was on the bike now. Potosi is the highest town in the world, apparently. It´s another pretty little town centre surrounded by questionably built outskirts.

After last night, dinner with a few new tourists is enough excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment