Tuesday 17 April 2012

TV Dinners

Maybe it´s because it´s out of season, but the food in Piria´ is mostly below par. I´m eating steak everyday, obviously. I think the reason that they can´t do my steak rare is because their microwaves don´t have a rare setting. But, I happily eat wet chinese newspaper with a sprinkle of sugar, so I´ll eat a bad steak with no hesitation. Steak is steak.

On the boat, there´s no more doing left to do, to the extent that this can ever be the case on the boat. Today, we´ve taken the bus to Punta Del Este, up the coast from Piria´. This is the town where the money is. It is more developed than Piria´ and the marina´is bigger and better, but it´s hardly a revelation. It´s also covered in hideously designed hi-rise apartment blocks. Now, out of season, it´s also a ghost town. The resident population is sub-ten thousand, whereas the apartments could be home to over a hundred thousand. As my pal Martyn would put it, mutton dressed as lamb.

On the other hand, for only a few more pesos than in Piria´, the food is fresh, and my steak is showing some red.

No comments:

Post a Comment