Sunday 29 April 2012

Get it Hot

In the morning, I have another Crocodile Dundee moment. This time with the B´Day. I understand what its getting at, but I´m still waiting from someone to invent the Three Seashells. I´ll have to put Gaz on that case.

In the afternoon, I´m sharing the farm with a bus load of Uruguayan senior citizens. Now it starts to make sense. This is why we butchered five delicious lambs. As usual, I´m more interested to hang out with the gauchos. They´ve rigged up a one by two metre barbeque pit, from what appears to be a couple of rusty old pieces of fence, propped up over charcoal. Each lamb remains in the one neatly de-boned piece, and they´re unfurled on the hot fence. A couple of rusty metal sheets sit on top to ensure even cooking. I eat a lot of lamb. Really - a lot of lamb. And Rice. And a spot of ice cream. The elderly are serenaded by Francisco and Ernesto, on guitar and vocals, respectively. Ernesto is somewhere in his late fifties, and is romancing the excitable lady contingent.

As is often the case, great interest is taken in my little guitar, from gauchos to drug merchants. Francisco gives me a lesson in Venuzualan guitar style, interpreted for Ukulele. I´ve also just about worked out Metallica´s classic Enter Sandman.

Later, I hop in the car to drop Ernesto and Francisco back home, in town. Both invite me in to meet their families. I´m the first English person to set foot in Ernesto´s place. In both homes, the wife is in front of the stove, and I´m promptly treated to fresh Tortas Fritas - essentially, thick deep fried dough. Ernesto´s kids, as young as seven or eight, rush up for a kiss on the cheek and to exchange what few words I can manage. In both cases, the home is basic - no flat screens, nor colour schemes, nor decorative ornaments - very small, cramped, even, for the numbers in them, but perfectly lovely and setup for a family.

In the evening, I´m finally, finally not too hungry, but I take on dinner. After I´m quite stuffed, in a a mixture of Spanish and broken English - until I get the point - Mariela asks if I want some of the pasta from last night now. Although, I do not need to eat any more food, she´s said "would you like it now", which I´ve taken to mean now or later. I opt for now, and out comes the plate. At this late stage in the game, it takes mental strength to clear plates of food, but inspired by the great Takeru Kobayashi, I am a clearer or plates. Then I simply have to lie down. I think about breakfast tomorrow. It´s not a great thought now, but by the time it rolls around, I´ll be pretty keen.

No comments:

Post a Comment