Monday 2 July 2012

Jump

Somewhere off the coat of Ecuador, the travelling band and I are powering through the sea on an elaborate white plasticky bathtub with a pair of one-hundred-and-fifteen horsepower Yam´s. We come to a stop in an arbitrary patch of sea amongst a few other bathtub boats and begin scanning the sea and horizon.

After just ten minutes, someone points me to some spray shooting out of the water. They´re here. Two or three Humpback Whales have come top poke around the boats. We all scramble to the whale watching side of boat. We´re tracking the light blue patches of the sea as they drift nearby us. The whales surface to poke above the water.

The Yam´s power back up, and we take a five minute ride to another arbitrary patch of water. More whales, or the same whales - they all look alike to me - soon turn up. I´m scanning the water to try and find them as they drift around under water. I hear some commotion in the boat behind me and turn in time to see the better half of a forty-five foot Humpback Whale crash down into the brine. For the next twenty minutes, three Humpbacks are periodically shooting two-third of their body out of the water and slamming back down.

The trip includes some snorkelling around the coast, but one of the boys on the boat are suffering badly from sea sickness. I´m sympathetic enough to pass on snorkelling, but it doesn´t keep me from taking his portion of complimentary cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment