Sunday 15 July 2012

Everybody Hurts

I'm browsing the walls of the Oswaldo Guayasamin museum in the company of a yammering old American. Of the decreasing number of English speaking folks around at breakfast time, his museum excursion was the best on offer. Aside from his propensity to talk when talking isn't necessary, he's a nice guy. I'll be alright for a half day.

In my browsing and perusing, I'm pleased to find that a lot of Guaysamin's work isn't awful nonsense. It doesn't appear to be the work of a happy-go-lucky sort of guy. There's theme of misery in some of the stuff I've seen in South American. This one is reminiscent of the Mérida gallery back in Cusco. But of course, arty misery and pain has little lasting effect on me. I most particularly enjoy the cartoon of a cheeky condor getting the better of a bull. That silly bull doesn't know what's going on.

Still no mail.



No comments:

Post a Comment