Friday 6 July 2012

Smoking in the Boys Room

There´s not a great deal I can afford to do on a fifteen dollar budget, and much less on eleven. I suppose that having been on the continent for over three months, I should probably make some effort to learn Spanish. I´m on a lowly page twenty-one of my Spanish comic book, Aliens Vs. Depredator. If I can sit down for a few hours of deciphering, then I walk up to the Mirador viewpoint in the afternoon and I can call it a worthwhile day.


By late afternoon, I´ve mostly procrastinated away the day on internet stuff, taking in the view, and eating. I´m still very much in the low twenties of my comic. Learning is boring. Knowing stuff is cool, but that learning bit is just so much hassle. There´s no part of the day when I couldn´t otherwise be doing something better, like drinking and smoking, or eating - something cool.

In the early evening, I stumble across a bar and microbrewery. I´m pretty excited to find the brew is exclusively delicious ale. I suppose I could still squeeze in under or around that fifteen dollars. I park up and have a chat, so far as I´m able, with owner and brewer and tell him of my interest in beer. I´m drinking his Irish Red. The beer is very similar to my best-friend-slash-arch-enemy, Fuller´s ESB. Experience has shown that, despite it being only five-and-half percent ABV, after four pints ESB, the evening will invariably descend into a blurry chaos, and I´m likely to wake up face down, still fully clothed, shoes and all. This Cuenca brew is a hefty six-and-half. Coupled with my budget, one will be enough. As I sit there enjoying the first beer of flavour since the bottle-conditioned Bishops Finger of The Falklands, I agree to trade my copy of CAMRA´s BEER Quarterly for my beer. And I´m back under budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment