Wednesday 7 March 2012

Against All the Odds

Today began with a minor hitch. I found out that the money for the sailing expedition, (due to start tomorrow,) had not been received, owing to some issues with my EUR/GBP company, (which later transpired to be my typo.) What I would have done to have a Lucy, Claudia or Oli to hand. I´d much prefer to be up a creek with out a paddle, than at a port without a boat. I reckon it´s fixed now, but I guess I won´t know until the first Euro cut off tomorrow - London, 1200h, as I recall. In any case, I don´t worry about these sorts of things.

Next, I needed to charge my recently purchased camera in one of these ungodly argentinian outlets. After visiting some ten shops, looking for a UK adaptor, I had heard "impossible" on at least one occasion. But this only reminded me of a time when a double-digit-strong number of people told me that I couldn´t get from Madrid at 1700h to Porto overnight. "Re-book your flight", they said. I was touristing the heck out of the femurs and skulls of the São Francisco´s catacombs by 1000h, then home for dinner, in probably-too-trendy Shoreditch. And like then, in the last electronics store, at, literally, the end of the world, I found a seemingly passable taiwanese adaptor. It looks like a fire hazard, but it does seem to be working. Success, where Patty and Selma failed.

You will recall reading about that first local pale ale I found. Having taken the address from the bottle, I decided to spend the afternoon looking for the Cape Horn brewery. I recall a previous time I had been "churched out" and went off looking for a brewery, I was in Toledo, Spain, home of Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez. That escapade involved me finally finding a distinctly closed brewery, after some 2-odd hours traipsing around a residential district under an unforgiving sun, blazing 30-something degrees. This escapade went much better. I (sort of) helped with the unload of malt and was given a tour of the quite reasonably sized microbrewery operation. I was even kindly gifted some small trinkets, including a honey beer from a small test batch. I hope to be welcomed back there to get some real brewing experience. 

Feeling pretty pleased with myself, as usual, I went to the closest thing I could find to a lovely wooden pub, and sank the pale ale and weiss beer of the afore brewery.

No comments:

Post a Comment