Tuesday 6 March 2012

Over the Hills and Far Away

I opened a Spanish newspaper in Madrid airport to find a story, which I could only tenuously decrypt, but it was probably aptly illustrated by two heavy-set Argentinian women burning the Union Jack in Buenos Aires. I wouldn't know enough about the history and present of the situation to opine, but I'm quite certain one of my old pals is opining "in size" on the facebook

After some 12-plus hours in the air with some insufferable children, I landed in a cloudy, but casually 20 degrees, Buenos Aires for a 20 hour layover. BA has a pretty cool buzz. I find "buzz" to be a non-descript word. Down town BA is a little like Brick Lane - people, music, crap for sale. As best I could work out, what makes BA special is a) temperature, b) beer is available only in bottles of a measure of "970cm^3" and c) a healthy pollution that makes the air thick and satisfying.

I had two attempts at exploring BA, both times it dumped rain on me. From what I saw, I'd certainly spend some time there.

I'm now in Ushuaia. As always, the number one task was to find beer. The first beer I found was a lovely, reasonably sized, locally brewed pale ale, named after the cape. So, I'm particularly content right now.

Photo: Frithjof Behne

No comments:

Post a Comment