Monday 18 June 2012

Finding My Way

Macchupichu isn't as easy as I'd expected. The nearest large town is Cusco, but it's still way on out in the middle of nowhere. Tours of cycling, trekking, zip-lining and rafting take tourists out there, but those run upto and beyond two-hundred US Dollars. This is the last great gimmick on my tour, but to my mind, that's all it is. I didn't have any great interest in the Incas before, and proximity hasn't changed anything. But, as always, I'm promised this is ancient village of broken stones is incredible.

What is of great interest to me, is my pretty red, albeit materially grazed, Tornado, but at an estimated three-hundred bucks all-in, assuming I don't crash it, that thought was discarded. I'm not being up-sold to rafting either, so I take instructions for the cheap method - a bus Santa Maria, a taxi to Santa Teresa, an hour walk to a Hydroelectric Dam, and a two hour walk along a railway track to Aguas Calientes, the town at the foot of Machupicchu. 


I'm reluctantly missing the football today, but I've got to find a somewhere in Aguas Calientes tomorrow for England vs. Ukraine. Thanks to a Peruvian bus schedule that leaves a bus-sized gap between 0900h and 0100h, I'm only as far as Santa Teresa by dark, and don't much fancy a lonely unsignposted three hour walk in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment