Sunday 24 June 2012

A Little Less Conversation

Having all but abandoned touristing whilst the football is on, I spend only some short part of the morning meandering around Lima, continuing from yesterday. The little section of Lima containing hostels, two parks and the nightlife, is nice enough. The rest of it promises very little, and doesn´t seem to suprise, but who knows what´s in many unexplored dark doorways. It doesn´t much matter, because England are about to play Italy.

After the game, all ten or fifteen england fans in the hostel bar quickly skulk away. I continue to sit for ten minutes, silent and motionless, until I´m forced to reply to a pleasantry. I´m trying to hard decide how I should respond to the defeat. I suppose that I could be sad. After Arsenal´s 2006 loss to Barcelona in the final of the champions league, I was very sad. So much so, that after I was done being sad, I was never sad again - so that´s of no help. I can´t seem to motivate any other emotion or response. Eventually, I have a coffee and continue living my life again, albeit quietly.

No comments:

Post a Comment