Friday 29 June 2012

Shot in the Dark

My internet search turned up just four potential sailing boat marinas up Ecuador's coast. Other than location, I've got no practical information about any of them. I arrive at the first, Puerto Lucia in La Libertad, with a little help from the locals. The first sight isn't promising. The European marinas I'm used to are open and it's no problem to get up close to the boats. Puerto Lucia is a ritzy looking gated community. The flimsy plan I formulated in that Guayaquil internet cafe didn't go much further than arriving here. I'm not sure how this is going to play out.

The guard appears sympathetic to my cause, but assures me there's no chance I'm getting in. Nonetheless, I tell him that I'll sit here and wait for the passing sailors. Taking a walk around and up the neighbouring beach, I can see just five masts here. It's not looking good, but I set up camp under the shade of a tree and whip out the uke.

Some ten minutes later, the gate lifts and a car leaves, but stops at the house just opposite the gate. The guard points me to the woman who steps out of the car. Using the simple sentences I'm capable of forming, I explain my plan to her and ask if I can hand out sailing resumes inside. First in Spanish, then in English, she explains that this marina is currently home to just a few rich guys, and that there's not much hope of finding my boat here. I'm not too disappointed, having expected this would be tough.

Between here and the next marina, there's a town that I broadly recall being recommended. A bus ride later, I arrive in MontaƱita. The first few streets of the little beachfront town are full of activity, hostels and restaurants. Having not looked this place up, I'm glad to be safe in a place I can settle down for a night or two.



No comments:

Post a Comment