Wednesday 12 September 2012

Southbound

I´ve arrived in Salamanca, without ever having heard of it before. The city centre is pretty incredible. I´ve see a lot of "old towns", but everythng before is pale in comparison. The sheer scale of near-ancient cathedrals, university buildings and palaces, then the sheer number of them makes an impression.

A number of the restaurants have Menu del Dia adverts promising starters, mains, dessert, bread and a drink for a paltry ten Euros. I´m sure there´s a catch, but it´s worth a look.

I´ve chosen a cafĂ©-come-restaurant, La Luna, and take a seat outside. There´s a choice of eight starters, but I have fond Spanish memories of gazpacho soup. This memory will be equally fond. I don´t know who invented tomato soup, but full credit to the Spanish for serving it cold. The wine arrives in a simple decanter, but there´s at least three glasses in there. Maybe this is the catch. Nontheless, I finish the wine, more than I need or want, as well bread, the main, dessert, and coffee. They take ten Euros and a tip of all the change I can dig up.

I´d wanted to go for a run tonight, but after four glasses of red wine, a couple of cigarrettes is just as good. I wander off, drunk and merry, back into the city to the sounds of Guns n´ Roses on the Israeli iPod that I´ve now claimed as my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment